Friday, November 13, 2009

Information About Establishing Care

How do I become a patient of this practice?

  • Your primary care physician or another physician will refer you for a consultation because he/she is concerned about a rheumatic disease.
  • I will contact you to make sure you understand why you are being referred, as well as how I bill for my services.
  • If this is acceptable to both of us, we will schedule a consultation.
  • Please have your medical records sent by your referring physician.
  • If you have been seen previously, but have not been seen in over a year, you are no longer considered a current patient.  Please ask your primary care physician to initiate a new consultation request.

What to expect at the first visit

  • Please arrive approximately 15 minutes early to complete introductory paperwork.
  • You will be asked to review & sign our practice agreement.

What to bring to the first visit

  • Any additional medical records you may possess (these will be copied & returned).
  • A complete list of your current medications, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, & other supplements.
  • Alternatively, bring all your current, labeled medication containers.
  • Your personal calendar, so that we may schedule any follow-up visits, if necessary.

What if I need to reschedule my appointment?

  • Please let me know at least 24 - 48 hours in advance.
  • If you are cancelling a Monday appointment, please try to let me know by end-of-business on Friday.
  • Life happens--if you have to unexpectedly miss your appointment, please still call to let me know so I do not worry when you do not show up.
  • WARNING: Patients who miss more than three visits without any advance notice will not be rescheduled.