Friday, November 13, 2009

The Micro-Practice

Where's the receptionist or nurse?

  • This is a micro-practice; also known as a patient-centered practice.
    • I wear many hats in this practice: rheumatologist, nurse, office manager, receptionist, information technologist, & janitor.
    • Please be patient with me--I really am the only person who works here.
  • A benefit of a micro-practice is that it keeps overhead costs low.  This allows me to:
    • Spend as much time as you & I need to address your disease management.
    • Improve communication with & education of my patients.
    • Ensure that visits run on time.
    • See you promptly, should you need an urgent, same-day appointment.

Who answers the phone & books my appointments?

  • If you call the office during normal business hours & connect to the answering machine, I am most likely with a patient (who deserves my undivided attention).
  • Please leave a message & I will return your call as soon as possible.
  • Established patients will also have the option of leaving NON-URGENT messages by e-mail, cell phone voicemail, or cell phone text messaging.

How do I reach Dr. Wachi after her office is closed?

  • After business hours, established patients can reach me on my cell phone/Blackberry (by standard phone call, text message, or e-mail).