Friday, November 13, 2009

An Insurance-Free Practice

Why isn't Dr. Wachi in the network of any health insurers?
  • I do not believe that health insurers benefit either patients or physicians.
    • Patients' health insurance premiums continue to increase.
    • Physicians' reimbursements from health insurers continue to decrease.
    • This is why physicians need to see more patients every day (& therefore spend less time per patient) in order to stay in business.
  • Health insurers' regulations (as opposed from evidence from medical literature) often dictate how physicians practice medicine, which is not necessarily in the best interest of the patient.
  • By foregoing third-party payors & contracting directly with my patients, any influence from health insurers is removed from the equation.
  • My only obligation is to my patients, not to the health insurance companies.
Back to the old-fashioned way of billing: the self-pay model
  • This is how your grandparents (or great-grandparents) paid for their medical care.
  • At the end of the office visit, you will receive a bill & make payment at that time.
  • Pricing for my services is transparent.
Is this a concierge practice?
  • No.  There is no "membership fee" to be my patient.
  • You pay only for services you receive directly from me.
What about other services Dr. Wachi orders?
  • If you have health insurance that covers these things, it should continue to cover diagnostic tests, medications, or referrals, as per your insurer's & particular plan's usual policies.
How billing works
  • This is a self-pay practice; patients are required to pay in full at the end of each visit.
  • I am an out-of-network physician; I am not a provider for Medicare, Medicaid, or any of the private insurance plans.
  • I do not bill insurance companies, but will supply you with the appropriate paperwork for you to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement.
  • NOTE: you may NOT submit bills to Medicare for my services, as I am not a Medicare provider